Kartemquin Educational Films (aka, Kartemquin Films) solicits and accepts gifts that are consistent with its mission and core values, and that support its operations, films and programs. Sparking democracy through documentary since 1966, Kartemquin is a collaborative community that empowers documentary makers who create stories that foster a more engaged and just society.
Kartemquin accepts both restricted as well as unrestricted gifts providing that donor restrictions do not significantly diminish the value of the gift. However, unrestricted gifts of cash or negotiable securities are the forms of donor commitment that will have the greatest impact on Kartemquin.
Gifts to Kartemquin should be made in the name of Kartemquin Educational Films, and can be made online (preferred) or mailed to Kartemquin Films, 1901 W. Wellington Avenue, Chicago, IL 60657. The following forms of gifts are accepted:
- Pledges/Recurring payments
- Matching gifts
- Stocks and securities
- Deferred/planned gifts or bequests
- Insurance policies
Requests for donor anonymity will be honored.
Kartemquin Board and leadership holds the right to discuss and examine donations offered from individuals, organizations, or companies that have shown evidence of racist, discriminatory practices or predatory actions and hold the right to decline donations. Factors which we may consider include, but are not limited to:
- Primary Benefit: The primary benefit of the gift must be Kartemquin, whether it is for operations, programs and/or special projects.
- Values: Does the acceptance of the gift compromise any of Kartemquin’s core values?
- Consistency: Is acceptance of the gift consistent with Kartemquin’s mission and with prior practice?
- Compatibility: Is there compatibility between the intent of the donor and Kartemquin’s use of the gift?
- Public relations: What impact does the gift have on the reputation of Kartemquin, if any?
- Form of gift: Is the gift offered in a form that is readily available for Kartemquin to use without incurring substantial financial or time expense and without taking on excessive administrative burden?
- Effect on future giving: Will the gift encourage (or discourage) future gifts?